Government Assistance Programs

The Social Security and Supplemental Security Income disability programs are the largest of several Federal programs that provide assistance to people with disabilities.

The Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) is the federal agency responsible for administering the Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP (Children's Health Insurance), and several other health-related programs.  Here you will find the tools to access these services.

Disability Benefits 101 (DB101) helps people with disabilities understand their benefits.  DB101 brings together rules for health coverage, benefits, and employment programs that people with disabilities use. These programs may be run by state, federal government, non-profit, or private organizations. Here they discuss them under one roof and in plain language. 

The IHSS Program will help pay for services provided to you so that you can remain safely in your own home. IHSS is considered an alternative to out-of-home care, such as nursing homes or board and care facilities. The types of services which can be authorized through IHSS are housecleaning, meal preparation, laundry, grocery shopping, personal care services (such as bowel and bladder care, bathing, grooming and paramedical services), accompaniment to medical appointments, and protective supervision for the mentally impaired.  More on IHSS

Personal Assistance Services Council (PASC) is the public authority for In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) in L.A. County.  PASC operates a Registry to match IHSS consumers and providers.  The PASC Homecare Registry is a free and voluntary service that IHSS consumers can use to obtain referrals of homecare providers.  Registry providers are referred to consumers based on the consumer's needs, hours allotment, and geographical location. PASC is committed to improving the IHSS Program and enhancing the quality of life for all people who receive and provide In-Home Supportive Services. 877-565-4477

Home- and Community-Based Services (HCBS) Waiver Program provides funding for optional Medi-Cal services such as case management, personal assistance services, and additional at-home nursing hours.  California has six HCBS waiver categories that serve specified subgroups of aged, developmentally disabled, physically disabled, and HIV/AIDS Medi-Cal eligible populations. For additional information, contact PASC's Information and Referral Office at 877-565-4477.

Access Services provides paratransit transportation services to persons with disabilities who are unable to use standard public transportation in L.A. County. An inperson assessment is required.  800-827-0829

Dial-a-Ride provides transportation services with wheelchair lifts for individuals with disabilities and seniors who qualify.  This PublicWorks provides paratransit service consists of curb-to-curb demand response services for those who reside in unincorporated County areas.  Also see CityRide for paratransit inside the City of L.A.

The Department of Rehabilitation (DOR) assists Californians with disabilities obtain and retain employment and maximize their ability to live independently in their communities. Working with individuals of every type and category of disability, DOR provides vocational rehabilitation services to eligible Californians.  DOR also provides ADA technical assistance and training and funds 29 Independent Living Centers which offer information and referral services to assist individuals with disabilities live active, independent lives.

CalWORKs is a welfare program that gives cash aid and services to eligible needy California families. The program serves all 58 counties in the state and is operated locally by county welfare departments. If a family has little or no cash and needs housing, food, utilities, clothing or medical care, it may be eligible to receive immediate short-term help. Families that apply and qualify for ongoing assistance receive money each month to help pay for housing, food and other necessary expenses.

Housing Rights Center's mission is to actively support and promote fair housing so that all persons have the opportunity to secure the housing they desire and can afford.  Every month they publish a list of affordable rental housing in L.A. County.

Housing Authority manages more than 3,600 units of public and other affordable housing at 70 sites throughout L.A. County. The Housing Authority also manages the Section 8 Rental Program, which is a federally-funded rental assistance program that helps with the cost of rental housing for eligible households.  562-347-HOME(4663)

Gentle Transitions, Inc. provides moving estate sale, charity arrangement services, packing, moving, unpacking, and resettling into a new home. It also provides boxes for moving.  800-619-3049

Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is a government program that provides heating and cooling assistance to low-income persons with disabilities, seniors, and families with young children.

AbilityFirst provides services for children and adults with disabilities, such as assistance with affordable housing, employment and adaptive technology. In addition, it provides support services such as after-school enrichment programs, resident summer programs.  877-768-4600

Meals on Wheels is a home-delivered meal program for seniors and people with disabilities.  To locate a Meals on Wheels, a center-based meal program, or a food pantry in your area, contact your local senior center, community center, faith-based organization, or call 211 Los Angeles County.

The Handyworker & Home Secure Program provides free minor home repairs for low-income disabled persons who live in the City of Los Angeles.  The repairs address safety and habitability concerns, including doors, windows, flooring, faucets, sinks, toilets, water heater, light fixtures, electrical outlets, railings, smoke detectors, rain gutters, painting, grab bars for bathroom, shower/tub seat, handheld shower, toilet seat riser, locks and peephole.

LA Department of Public Services (DPSS) helps direct people to services available to low-income residents of Los Angeles County such as temporary financial assistance and employment services for families and individuals; free and low-cost health care insurance for families with children, pregnant women and aged/blind/disabled adults; food benefits for families and individuals; in-home services for elderly and disabled individuals; and financial assistance and advocacy for federal disability benefits for disabled individuals.